/
Trump opens first meeting of Board of Peace with a $10 billion US pledge

Trump opens first meeting of Board of Peace with a $10 billion US pledge


Trump opens first meeting of Board of Peace with a $10 billion US pledge

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump announced Thursday at the inaugural Board of Peace meeting that the U.S. will contribute $10 billion dollars to the cause.nine members of the body have agreed to pledge $7 billion toward a Gaza relief package.

Trump's announcement followed pledges from seven other members of the Board for an additional $7 billion dollars.

Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, UAE, Morocco, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan and Kuwait are the countries that are making pledges, Trump added.

“But every dollar spent is an investment in stability and the hope of new and harmonious (region),” said Trump in thanking the donors.

The $17-billion pledged goes towards the estimated $70 billion needed to rebuild Gaza that has been decimated as a result of how Israel responded to the Hamas terrorist massacre of more than 1200 Israeli men, women and children in October 2023.

“The Board of Peace is showing how a better future can be built, starting right here in this room,” Trump said.

The board was initiated as part of Trump's 20-point peace plan to end the conflict in Gaza. But since the October ceasefire, Trump's vision for the board has morphed and he wants it to have an even more ambitious remit — one that will not only complete the Herculean task of bringing lasting peace between Israel and Hamas but will also help resolve conflicts around the globe.

But the Gaza ceasefire deal remains fragile and Trump's expanded vision for it has triggered fears the U.S. president is looking to create a rival to the United Nations. Trump earlier this week said he hoped the board would push the U.N. to “get on the ball.”

“The United Nations has great potential,” he said. “They haven’t lived up to the potential.”

Trump started the meeting by taking part in a family photo with officials from nations that have joined the board.

Most countries sent high-level officials, but a few leaders—including Indonesian President Prabowo Subianto, Argentinian President Javier Milei, and Hungarian President Viktor Orbán—traveled to Washington for the gathering.

More than 40 countries and the European Union confirmed they were sending officials to Thursday’s meeting, according to a senior administration official who was not authorized to comment publicly. Germany, Italy, Norway, Switzerland and the United Kingdom are among more than a dozen countries that have not joined the board but are taking part as observers.

“Almost everybody’s accepted, and the ones that haven’t, will be," Trump predicted. "And some are playing a little cute -- it doesn’t work. You can’t play cute with me.”